Dave and the dogs had a great race in Ely on Sunday, March 1st. They came in 15th of 34 mushers in the 6-dog 30-mile race. The first five places went to the Canadian sprint mushers that blew everyone out of the water. They can't really be compared to us, so you could say that dave got 10th of 29 teams. Dave beat our true competitors by a narrow margin, which means our team is improving! And it means that it was worth it for Dave to run up all the hills.
It was a very early morning and a very cold day. It was 20 below when we got to Ely at 8am. Dave started at 10. I nearly died leading the dogs up the hill to the starting chute. I felt like I froze my lungs. I tasted blood for a half hour and coughed the rest of the day. I felt for our volunteers who had run up that hill with two other teams before helping ours! Thanks, ladies!
We got to see alot of friends, which is always a perk of dog races. We also had alot of friends come out to cheer Dave on. Thanks for the support, everyone! Thanks to Shelly Aho for the pictures. My batteries froze! And thanks to Dad for helping handle, he did most of the work.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment